Monday, September 17, 2007

Daily Musing...

I think I'm going to change the name (yes, again) of this blog. My husband jokes with me that I'm a "Feminist Homemaker". What does he mean by this? Well, obviously I'm a homemaker, but not because I have to be or because that's what my husband wants. You see, although my husband and I are committed Christians we are also what you would call egalitarians. Meaning, we believe that men and women, husbands and wives are equal. There really is no "head of our household". I respect my husband dearly as he does me and we try our hardest to treat each other as such. We make our decisions together and are both free to disagree with the other. I also do not believe that "a woman's place is in the home". If you are married and have children or whatever and you want to have a career outside of the home. Go for it! Don't let anyone hold you back. As long as you can balance work and family, all the more power to you! Yes, I am a homemaker and my husband supports me fully in that, but he would also support me fully if I decided tomorrow that I wanted to go back to work full time. It's my decision. As long as I love what I do and take it seriously, he's happy!! And just so everyone knows, I've been a homemaker ever since we got married almost 4 years ago. We went 2 1/2 years being married before our daughter was born and we decided together from the get go that this is what we both wanted and what we both considered best for our family. I've always wanted to be a wife and a mommy, that has always been my biggest dream. We plan to have a large family and as of right now I plan on homeschooling our children (for many reasons that I will get into in a later post), but as I've gotten older my dreams have also grown to one day owning a business. I'd love to have a coffee shop or a bed & breakfast one day. But that is when my children are older. For now, my passion is my family and my home, so that is my job. But I can rest assured that whatever I decide to do in the future my husband will support me 100%!!

So, as an ode to Bryan, the new name of this blog is going to be "Diary of a Feminist Homemaker"!!

No comments: