Thursday, September 20, 2007

I Wonder If This Helps...

So, for the last week and a half or so I've been hand washing all of our dishes. Yep, you heard me loud and clear, I have not run the dishwasher in this whole time. My main reason for doing so is a little experiment to see if it cuts down on our electric bill. Before I would run the dishwasher every day or so and I just figured that with all the heating it has to do to dry the dishes and such, it wouldn't hurt to give this a go. Now, there have honestly been days where I haven't kept up very well with the dish washing, but overall it seems to be going good. As for drying I just leave the dishes in the dishwasher with the door cracked open and they actually dry better and faster than with the heated dry. I'm actually also enjoying my time washing dishes. I get to look out my window into the backyard and just get lost in my thoughts for around 15 minutes. Even if the electric bill doesn't go down I'll probably continue to hand wash the dishes. Dishes used to be my most dreaded chore, but dare I say, I'm actually beginning to like it now. Well, maybe not like, but definitely not dread!!

Oh, and I figure that in the future this will be a good chore for Audrey and her future siblings to have. I don't want my children growing up relying on machines to always do basic work for them!

Does anyone else out there wash their dishes by hand?

No comments: