Monday, September 24, 2007

Make Something New Mondays - Butter Bread

Today I made homemade bread for the first time ever!! Made from scratch and everything. Needless to say, eat wasn't aesthetically pleasing enough to post a picture. But it sure did taste delicious, and the house smelled SO wonderful!! I got the recipe from Bethany's Blog.

Here's the recipe:

1 stick butter
1 cup milk
2 packages yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
6-7 bread flour

Melt the butter and warm the milk. Add yeast and let sit for about 2 minutes, then stir and add sugar, salt, eggs and slowly add flour until it is a firm dough.

Knead for 10 minutes and then let rise for an hour.

Punch down, split in half, and separate each half into 3 sections. Roll sections and braid them.

Let braided loaves rise for 30 minutes, then brush with an egg white glaze.

Place in oven at 375 for the 30-35 minutes.

I'm definitely going to be trying this recipe again. I'd love to get it perfected!
Every Monday I'm going to try to make something that I haven't before. Mainly things from scratch. Next week I think I'll do some kind of dessert!!

No comments: